Yogurt Bonda - Challa Punukulu
Equal ratio of maida and rice flour is made into thick batter with yogurt. The mixture is seasoned with spices and herbs. The batter is then scooped up and dropped into hot oil and fried till golden brown in color. Serve yogurt bonda with onion chutney or with any chutney of your choice.Makes:
around 10 Yogurt Bonda.Ingredients:
Method of preparation:
- Rice Flour 1/4 Cup
- Maida 1/3 Cup
- Chana Dal 2 tbsps
- Yogurt 1/3 Cup
- Onion 1/2 of Small One
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Green Chile 1
- Curry Leaves 4
- Soda Bi Carb a Pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Oil for Deep Frying
- Soak chana dal in water for around 3 hours and strain the dal.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles.
- Wash and tear the curry leaves into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together rice flour, maida, yogurt and salt.
- Add sufficient water and mix the above mixture into smooth, soft and thick batter.
- Stir in chana dal, onion, green chile, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a heavy deep pan on medium high heat.
- When oil gets hot, carefully drop a small scoop of the mixture into the oil.
- Repeat till the surface of the oil is filled up.
- Deep fry till the bonda turns light golden brown in color.
- Carefully remove the yogurt bonda onto a absorbent paper.
- Repeat the same with any remaining mixture.
- Serve yogurt bonda with onion chutney.
Make sure to fry the bonda in medium hot oil to make sure the inside is cooked well.Suggestions:
If the inside of the bonda is not cooked properly, put them back in medium hot oil and fry till done.Variations:
You can also add a tsp of sooji to make the bonda little more crisp.