Pulihora is an authentic andhra recipe made of rice. It is commonly known as tamarind rice, Tamarind is a popular rice recipe of the south India. Tamarind or imli as it known otherwise makes this dish tangy.Ingredients:
How to make tamarind rice:
- 2 cups basmathi rice
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp channa dhal
- 6 red chilly
- 100 gms sesame oil(as needed)
- a bunch of curry leaves
- 1 tsp peanuts
- Pressure Cook the rice and spread on a plate. keep aside.
- Heat the non-stick skillet add fenugreek and asafoetida dry fry (without oil) for a minute.
- Grind this into a fine powder. Set aside.
- To the tamarind juice add salt, turmeric powder, jaggery, ground powder of fenugreek and asafoetida.
- Fry mustard, red chillies, channa dhal, peanuts and curry leaves in sesame oil.
- Pour into the tamarind juice mixture.
- Boil tamarind juice till it reaches thick gravy form and until oil comes out with good flavour.
- Add cooked tamarind gravy to the rice.
- Pour in 1 tsp. of oil, if needed. Mix well and serve.