Bisi Bele Huli Anna
Mixed vegetables are chopped up and cooked in tempered oil. Whole spices and lentils are dry roasted and ground into fine powder. Rice and toor dal is cooked till soft and added to the tempering along with spice blend. The mixture is cooked till all the flavors are absorbed by the rice and dal. Serve bisi bele huli anna hot with a crispy papad.Makes:
around 4 Servings of Bisi Bele Huli Anna.Ingredients:
- Raw Rice 1 Cup
- Toor Dal 1 Cup
- Tamarind 1 inch Sized Ball
- Potato 1
- Onion 1
- Fresh Peas (shelled) 1/4 cup
- Carrot 1 Small
- Raw Peanuts 1/2 Cup
- Dry Coconut 2 inch Piece
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Whole Dried Red Chiles 5 – 6
- Fenugreek Seeds 1/8 tsp
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- Clove 1
- Chana Dal 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal 1/2 tsp
Method of preparation:
- Chana Dal 1 tsp
- Urad Dal 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a few Pinches
- Curry Leaves 6
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Peel and slice chop onion.
- Wash, remove ends, peel and chop the carrot.
- Peel and cube the potato.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water for few minutes and extract all the pulp.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro and curry leaves.
- Refresh toor dal and rice with fresh water.
- Pressure cook both of them along with peanuts in 4 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Heat a heavy pan on medium heat, lightly roast all masala ingredients one after another and keep aside.
- Once cooled, grind all the roasted masala ingredients into fine powder along with dry coconut using a spice grinder.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion, potato, carrot and fresh peas.
- Sprinkle water if necessary and cook covered until all the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
- Then add tamarind pulp, turmeric powder and finely ground masala powder.
- Fry briefly, stir in cooked rice, dal and salt.
- Pour around 2 cups of water, mix thoroughly and cook the whole mixture on low flame for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, garnish with freshly grated coconut and serve bisi bele huli anna with deep fried papad.
Make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly cooked and the masala ingredients are perfectly roasted.Suggestions:
If the rice or the dal is not cooked properly, put it back on heat, add few splashes of water if necessary and cook covered till done. Adjust the amount of water to the bisi bele huli anna since it dries out fast.Variations:
You can also choose your choice of vegetables and cook them all together before adding to the tempered oil.