Atukula Payasam(Poha Payasam with Almond Milk)
Poha(atukulu) Payasam with almond milk is very easy to make.It has a taste that delights most everyone. If you prefer, semiya or sabudana can be substituted for poha.Ingredients:
How to make Atukula Payasam:
- 3 cups almond milk (badam paalu)
- ½ cup maple syrup (or sugar to taste)
- 1-tablespoon ghee
- 2- tablespoons golden raisins
- 1-tablespoon chironji (Saarapappu or charoli)
- 1-cup poha (atukulu, rice flakes)
- 1 teaspoon freshly crushed cardamom
- Place almond milk in a wide pot on stovetop. Add maple syrup. Slowly, on medium-low heat, simmer for about 20 minutes, until three cups have reduced to about two and half cups.
- While almond milk is simmering, in a small kadai or wok, take ghee. On medium heat, warm the ghee. Add golden raisins and saute, constantly stirring. Wait until they puff up like round balloons. It’s a beautiful sight and worth the wait. With a slotted spoon, remove the balloons to a plate.
- Add chironji nuts to the kadai. Toast them to pale red. Take them out and add poha. Toast for couple of minutes just until they are warm to touch. Together, they will look like shown in the photo above.
- Add the toasted poha, golden balloons and chironji nuts to simmering almond milk. Sprinkle the crushed cardamom. Mix. Turn off the heat immediately. Cover the pot and let the poha absorb the almond milk. Poha is like cereal flakes, softens quickly.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Just before serving, drizzle a tablespoon of maple syrup. This poha paysam with almond milk is as nutritious as it is tasty and makes a comforting dessert for people who fear the hormonal effects of regular milk and soymilk.